Region detect is a plugin for WordPress that detects the country that the current visitor is browsing from.
It can display the country to the user; something like: Hello visitor from Spain! or display a flag of the country. The plugin also makes the ISO 3166-1 country code and country name avaliable to other plugins.
- Extract the zip file and just drop the contents in the
wp-content/plugins/directory of your WordPress installation.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ page.
- Copy the MaxMind country database to the plugin folder, or add your MaxMind license key to the plugin admin panel.
- If you are using the web service enable caching and select the cache length that you need.
- Use %%COUNTRYCODE%% or %%COUNTRYNAME%% in your posts to display the two character country code or country name respectively.
- Do I have to pay for the MaxMind database?
No, MaxMind offer a free version of the database. However the paid for version is more accurate.
- I am a wordpress developer and want to access the country code or name in my code. How do I do that?
Easy 🙂 Just declare the global variables $rdISO3166_1 or $rdCountryName in your code and away you go.
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“Region Detect” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “Region Detect” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Initial version
- Added option to set the country from the url
- Corrected bug with the cache clearing too quickly
- Added a table that shows countries and number of ip addresses that are cached
- Corrected spelling mistakes
- Removed debugging code
- Fixed installation bug which was causing a crash when installing
- Made plugin multisite compliant